Please respond in French or English as indicated. Due: Feb 27th
Questions sur le film :
Le Petit Nicolas
1. Decrivez la mere, le pere, et Nicolas. Comment sont-ils physiquement? Decrivez leurs personnalites. (In French)
2. Nommez trois elements typiques des annees cinquante (from the 1950′s) dans le film–le decor, le comportement des gens etc) (In French)
3. Can you name all of Nicolas’ copains from memory? Make a list. Desrcibe them briefly! (In French)
4. What are some noticeable differences (in French and American culture) that you observe in relation to education, child-rearing, interpersonal relationships, and any other stuff? (In English)
5. What struck you as particularly funny in this film? Anything that bothered you? Explain! (In English)
Le Colonel Chabert
COME TO CLASS WITH # 1-3 COMPLETED.
- Explain the Colonel Chabert’s quest for reclaiming his identity. Talk about what factors make up his “identity”. Does it (his identity) change as the film progresses?
2. Derville, the lawyer, tells Chabert that “our offices are sewers in which human justice is powerless”. What do you think he means by that?
3. Talk about the role of the Comtesse Féraud. Think of the reality she faces (19th century aristocratic French society). Do you feel she is justified in her course of action? Is it possible for her to act justly and maintain her position in society?
TO DO IN CLASS, AFTER WE HAVE COMPLETED THE FILM:
4. What is your overall opinion of Derville?
5. What is the Colonel’s position at the end? Do you think he is “victorious”? Explain your thinking.